May 14, 2012

The Other Side

Tonight while in the baseball park I ran into a couple of ladies that I haven't seen in quite some time.  While chatting with them one was sharing her recent struggles with her mom's passing.  She talked about the pain and I explained that I feel the same thing in somewhat of a different way.  She looked a little puzzled and then I realized that she didn't know about Reid and his diagnosis of achondroplasia.  I don't know why I assumed she had probably run into someone else and they had mentioned it to her...one of those... "Did  you hear about Jennifer and Rico's baby boy?" It's like I can picture people saying this even if they really aren't.  Our friends and family have been nothing but supportive since we received news that Reid would be born with a form of skeletal dysplasia.  However, I guess it's normal for me to imagine people giving that "Oh that's terrible" thought.  I think I may assume this is the natural response because I've been on that side.  We've all had these thoughts before when hearing about an accident, a diagnosis, someone's illness, or death.  It's so weird when you find yourself on the other side.  I no longer say to myself, "Oh that's terrible" when I hear some major news...you know...the kind that shakes you to the core.  I now see and feel things so differently.  I actually hurt for them.  This lady at the ball bark tonight talked about how this past year has been the hardest thing she has ever had to go through.  Normally, I would think the "Oh that's terrible", say a little prayer for her and her family and then move on.  Now, I hurt for her.  Now, I empathize with her.  I picture my life in the same exact situation.  What would happen to me if I went through that same thing next year, next month or tomorrow?  I've been through something core shaking and now there is no going back to the old me.  The old me that would have sincerely thought about it but then dismissed it as soon as I walked away.  I don't know if that's right or wrong, but just how life is.  It's like once you've crossed that line you don't see the world or the people in it the same way you did before.  And for that, I'm grateful.  I found myself pretty choked up tonight while explaining to her just briefly what we just went through six months ago.  Most of the time I can explain our new adventure to anyone and be completely fine...which is nice!  But there are those moments when I'm not strong, I can't fake it and I'm broken down.  I write things like this in the blog because one day Reid will read this and he will know that he changed me.  He changed me for the better and he helped me get to that "other side". 

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are describing. I also assume that people just gossip and for the most part it hasn't been the case for us either. I also think that once our kids are a bit older, we will get used to being on the other side and it will be the new normality, so probably we shall be more sensitive or empathetic, but not to the extent we are now when everything is so raw...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing this post. Most of the time I'm just fine, but all it takes is one certain person telling me how strong I am and suddenly I'm in tears. But I wouldn't change this journey for the world - in a way, it truly is a gift. It's hard to explain to "other" people, though ;)

    ReplyDelete